Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Little Red Riding Hood

After reading all of the different versions of Little Red Riding Hood I was absolutely shocked by what I saw. Whenever I was a child, I never read or maybe yet noticed all of the sexual innuendos that were going on. In The Story of Grandmother by Perrault, Red individually took off each article of clothing and threw them into the fire just as the wolf said to do. In Perrault’s version, Red was very trusting and naive. She never questioned why “Grandma” asked her to undress yet alone throw her clothes into the fire. In addition, when I was younger I did not see the connection of the wolf to a child predator. Also, I really enjoyed reading James Thurber’s The Little Girl and the Wolf. I really liked how in this version, Red and the wolf already knew the story. In most on the versions, Red is perceived as dumb and naive, but in Thurber’s she knew what was going on and the wolf could not trick her into believing that he was her grandmother. Go Red!!!

No comments: